6 girls 1 guy

Thursday, April 19, 2007

About going to NIE................thinking very carefully now...

Hahahahaah..................I think by now you guys are bored with me liao. I'm very fickle-minded, one minute saying I want to go NIE, one min saying I'm not.

Today, something happened and it makes me think hard about considering going to NIE and teaching in primary schools as a career.

Today, before I start my lessons, my students are already asking if their form teacher is in school today. And it's just not one. It's quite a few of them. Looks like they are looking forward to their lessons with her and not to mine.

Hahahaha..........yesterday, the form teacher was just telling me that the students have not hate me to the extent of complaining abt me, but they also dun really look forward to my lessons, which is not a very good thing actually.

Can be a little sad over this information, but it also makes start to think: Do I like children?

Cos' yesterday over the chat with that teacher, cos she's a mentor attached to me, she was asking me several questions. Some of them are: Where do you think you will be 5years down the road? Do you picture yourself as a pri school teacher? Do you like children?

'Do you like children?' This question really makes me ponder.

The reason that prompted me to go for MOE interview is that I like to teach.
When I told my mentor (which is that teacher) that I like jobs that interact with people, she was saying that, teaching children is a different thing, though it interacts with people as well. And until now, I have not interact with the parents yet. So I may not like it after all if I start to interact with parents abt their children.

When I realised that my students favoured their form teacher over me, frankly speaking, I was kind of sad. But after that, I started thinking, do I like children?

Cos' for my 5 weeks in school, the most common thing I have done is to tell the children to keep quiet, so I can teach my subjects.

I'm not that interested to know how the children are like, what their personalities are like.
My mentor ( their form teacher) has been giving me suggestions such as I have to use the soft methods sometimes and not be harsh to them always. But I can't do it.

I can be fierce to a relief class for that day, cos I'm only seeing that for that day. But if I'm seeing you for the whole term, it's not possible to do that. I have to do more than that.
Such as knowing your students, having to interact with them etc. My mentor was has been teaching for 11 yrs, so she has that kind of experience. And you can see that she cares for the children. I don't do that to the students.

When I went for a 2 day crash course for untrained teachers, my lecturer taught us this phrase:
' You teach children, not subjects'.

I've been teaching subjects all along, not children. All I wanted them to do is to keep quiet so I can teach my subjects in peace. I dun really care if they listen or not.

Some other teachers may be finding ways to teach so that the children will be interested to listen. But I don't. I'm using the tradional method whereby you just sit there and listen, I dun want any nonsense from you while I'm teaching.

Can see why the students dun really like my lessons. If I'm one of the children, I will also dun like such a teacher.

To teach is to touch someone's life. We make a difference in students.

But for me, what I've been doing is to deliver my subjects. Mind you, is DELIVER. Not that the students can absorb in the topic or not.
And I also dun really care if they can't absorb.

But I really like to teach. Maybe my interest is to teach someone more mature, and can interact better. Children, you have to baby sit them and care for them. I just dun care.

So, do I like children? I think my answer is no.

Right now, I'm checking my behaviour and looking back at my behaviour the past few weeks. I've realised that I've been teacting my job as a responsibility. Responsibility to just do what I'm suppose to do and nothing else.

I have never thought of how the students will feel abt my lessons or how they will benefit from my lessons. I just made sure that I've taught them what I'm suppose to teach.

I think if not for my students reaction to me, I will never reflect on myself and think that in-depth. And I dun really like my class as well.

Can you imagine facing a class you dun like for 1 yr?


~Caizhuang~
Pondering now

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home